Daklak is located in southwest of Truong Son mountains with 11030’–13025’ North latitude and 107030’–109030 East longitude. The province borders to Gia Lai Province to the North, Lam Dong and Binh Phuoc Provinces to the South, Khanh Hoa and Phu Yen Provinces to the East and Cambodia to the West with 240km of common frontier.
Daklak province has relative flat terrains with average altitude 500 – 800 meters above the sea level lowering from the Southeast to the Northwest.
The terrains of the province are divided into 04 main types:
• Ea Sup plain
• Delta Krong Păk Lăk
1. Land Resources:
Daklak has natural area of 1,959,950 hectares divided into 11 different soil groups, among them the most important one is basalt soil with 704,494 hectares that are advantageous for developing agriculture, forestry, particularly for cultivating long-term industrial crops such as coffee, rubber, pepper, tea... with high productivity.
2- Water resources
- Superficial water: Annually Daklak receives about 38 billions cubic meters of water. In there about 15 billions from rain. However, because rains distribute unevenly by seasons, there are local floods in rainy season and drought in dry season. - Underground water: Underground water is located mainly in basalt tectonics and Neogene sediments. These are water supply sources for superficial water in dry season.
3- Forest resources
a- Floristic composition:
Total forest area of Daklak is 1,017,955 hectares, in there natural forest occupies 1,008,265.5 hectares and artificial forest – 9,689.5 hectares. Because Daklak’s forest is located in region of advantageous climatic, land and hydrographic conditions, forest floristic composition develops plentifully in many different forms and includes various species. Natural floristic composition occupies most of natural area of land of the province and evenly distributes through all districts and towns, including five main types:
• Tropical evergreen forest
• Defoliating thin forest
• Mixing forest with bamboo, Neohouzeaua and wood trees
• Sapling regenerating forest with shrubs
- Natural grasses Cultivated floristic composition is diversified with many typical tropical trees such as coffee, rubber, cashew, bean, peas, cotton, fruit-trees... and other food trees. This kind occupies near 30% natural area of the province and arranges through almost all region in the province.
b- Forest animals:
According to statistics, Daklak’s forest animals comprise 93 races of mammals, 197 kinds of birds, in there many valuable and rare kinds such as elephants, tigers, jaguars, forest bulls, gayals, bears, deer, stags, flying squirrels, pheinardia ocellata, red-face grey peacock pheasants...
Daklak has many kinds of minerals with different reserves, including many valuable minerals such as bauxite, lead, gold, feldspar, peat, granite, mineral water etc...
3. Economic & Social Develoment
1- Economic development
Average annual growth rate for period 1996-2000 of the province is about 10.5%. In there:
• Agriculture, forestry – 15.22%
• Industry, construction – 11.33%
• Services – 7.95%
2- Economic structure
Agro-forestry (62.9%) is main force scope of Daklak economy.
This scope has average annual growth rate of 15.2% for period 1995-2000 with production value increasing 9.8% annually. In 2000, total cultivated area was 395,000 hectares; in there long-term industrial crops such as coffee, rubber occupied 54%, short-term industrial crops – 1.2%. Total value of agro-production reached 7,012,499 million dongs in equivalent to 308,520,000 thousands tons of rice. Food per capita was 245kg per year.
Forestry is concentrated mainly to exploitation of forest products and afforesting. Turnover in 1995 reached VNÐ154,009 million, in 2000 – VNÐ 836,559 million.
* Industry, small-scaled industries and construction industry
For period 1995-2000, these industries have occupied 8.8% of total provincial economy. The industries have been changed in scale, structure, and value.
Up to the year of 2000, there are 5,342 industrial businesses in Daklak Province.
* Commerce, services and tourism
Generally, for period 1995-2000, commerce and services have occupied 17.3% total economic value of the province with average annual growth rate 30%.
At present, there are more than 583 enterprises working in Daklak. These enterprises are divided into followings types:
• State-owned enterprises: 25
• Non-State enterprises: 552
• Foreign-invested enterprises: 6
VNCG-VDC1 - (06/05/2004)